Friday, June 15, 2012

Classroom Behavior Management Tools FREEBIE

I have tried a lot of different management systems in my classroom and this is the easiest one to implement that I have found.  Everyone starts the day on Green - Ready to Learn.  Students move up and down the chart as they make choices throughout the day.  Student's move their own clothespins on the chart so there is built-in intrinsic motivation to be moving up and not down the chart.  I love that it rewards students making good choices and does not just point out students making bad choices.  To learn more about this system from it's creator, I recommend that you download Rick Morris' FREE ebook HERE.


For a FREE behavior management clip chart that coordinates with all of my Polka Dot classroom tools click on the picture below.



Another management tool that I use in my classroom is the Noise Level Stop Light.  I use this with clothespins too and put the clothespin where the noise level needs to be.  I typically have it on red light for tests and direct instruction, yellow light for partner work and during guided reading, and green light during centers and group work.


If you like the Noise Level Stop Light, you can download it FREE by clicking on the picture.
What are your favorite behavior management tools?



Freebie Fridays

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday


Photobucket Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the polka dotted themed behavior management tools! I absolutely love them for my classroom next year. :)

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa for visiting and checking out the behavior management clip chart. I see that you have a black, white, and red polka dot theme in your classroom. I hope this goes with your classroom. I really found the stoplight to be a helpful tool. The kids would remind each other which light the clip was on and they did a great job of self management with it. Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Hey Pamela
    I saw Rick Morris a couple years ago...he was super funny and such a great workshop leader! I have a couple books of his and use a ton of his stuff.
    Ann
    The Caffeinated Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to go see him. Unfortunately, at my little school we are never sent to workshops and they are usually expensive to do on your own. I'll have to keep my ears open for when he is coming again.

      Delete
  3. I use the same management system! I learned about it while student teaching many moons ago and loved how well it worked. This past year I decided to use the option of moving back up the chart. Unfortunately, the whole moving up thing didn't work for me (I have another system that I use for positive reinforcement and the two just didn't go well together), so next year I'm sticking with starting on green and working down. I love your polka dot signs; when I recreated mine for next year I also made polka dotted ones!

    I love the stoplight; I'm definitely going to download that one. If they won't listen to my verbal reminders, maybe the visual will work! Thanks for sharing!

    Aimee
    Primarily Speaking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your management experience. I'd love to hear what you do for positive reinforcement. I hope the stoplight works as well for you as it did for me. It really helped my kiddos.

      Delete
  4. Love the Polka Dots. I am your newest follower. I would love to have you visit me when you get a chance.

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there! Thanks so much for posting your behavior chart and noise level light. I am going to try the noise level light for sure!!! I need a tool like that in my room. How exactly do you use it? Do you have them look at the light when things get too loud or do you have a special system? I'd like to hear your ideas! Love your blog! Definitely following you! I am new to the whole blogging world!

    Rene'
    A Passion For Primary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen this used before...it is a great tool! Thanks for sharing.
    Shawna
    The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to re-do my clip chart and this looks perfect! Thanks!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing. I needed a traffic light noise level system!
    Jennifer
    kindertrips

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have an editable version? I'd love the polka dot but the wording doesn't fit with our school wide behavior.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I downloaded the eBook and your behavior clip chart! LOVE IT! Did you send a letter home to parents explaining the new behavior system?
    Would you mind emailing it to me (if you did) so I might be able to get some ideas on how to let my parents know what is going on?
    stacie_humpert@yahoo.com

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tips and for helping teachers manage behaviors in their classrooms. If anyone is interested in using a free, web-based version of a classroom behavior management system like this, I have created one that is free for all teachers to use: http://www.SharpClass.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love.