Rock Cinquain Poems, Earth, Our Home Books, and Silkworms

We have been writing and reading poetry this month, during Poetry Month.  Earlier in the month we wrote a five senses poem about Spring.  Last Friday, we wrote cinquain poems about rocks as the last activity of our rock unit.  We practiced writing cinquain poems a couple of times with other topics and then I cut them loose to write their own on rocks.  I let them work in pairs to write them (my class this year just works better in pairs) and they did a great job.
 Rocks!
solid, hard
shining, erupting, moving
Volcanoes are rocks.
Rocks
Rocks!
hard, volcanoes
moving, changing, layering
I like to climb rocks!
Rocks

We finished our Earth, Our Home books today.  We created them as both an appreciation of the Earth and its wonders and as an introduction to habitats which we will be studying soon.  Here is one student's book that I loved.
And...we are on week 2 of our silkworm observations.  We are keeping a lab book.  Right now we are writing observations once a week.  Starting next week the worms will be changing fast enough to do observation writing a couple of times a week.  Our silkworms are currently 1/4" long and have started to turn from black to white.  They are really hard to see right now but maybe you can pick them out!
We are having fun with science in first grade!

Link HERE to Charity's "The Organized Classroom" blog for more teaching ideas from teachers sharing great ideas for their classrooms.
Photobucket Pin It

4 comments :

  1. I'm your newest follower. I've enjoyed my visit to your blog! I'm so happy to be a 5 star blogger too! Come by when you get a chance!

    Blogging Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm your 80th follower! Really pleased to meet you on my travels around fellow 5 Star bloggers. Pop by and pay me a visit when you have a spare moment.

    Sue
    www.sos-supply.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Definitely a 5-Star Blogger! Thanks for linking up!

    Charity
    The Organized Classroom Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog through the 5-Star Blogger Challenge. I love your Lorax ideas! We just started that unit today. I'm your newest follower!

    Aimee
    Primarily Speaking

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing with me.